1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?
- While my significant other and I, both mid-20s, grew up with dogs this will be our first time owning one independently.
2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a reputable breeder?
- We are interested in a puppy, so likely going through a breeder.
3) Describe your ideal dog.
- We are looking for a lovey, cuddly dog that looks to please. We currently live in an apartment and a dog which can handle that is a must. In a couple years, however, we plan on buying a house with a yard to give the dog more space. I would also like the dog to be able to handle moderate-to-difficult hikes when full grown. Her number one criterion in getting a dog is “looks like a teddy bear.”
4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?
- Again, the dog must “look like a teddy bear.” This means a golden-brown fluffy coat. Appearance is more important than size. As a result, her focus has been on the poodle crossbreeds: goldendoodle, cavapoo, havapoo, etc. I’ve tried to steer the search towards the more established doodle breeds (e.g., Australian labradoodle) but worry these dogs may be too big for apartment life. The dog’s appearance is very important: breeds like the King Charles are not “teddy bear” enough.
5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?
- We want a well-behaved and attentive dog but have no specific tasks for training.
6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?
7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?
- 1-2 hours a day of direct interaction. Several additional hours of in-direct interaction such as sitting on the lap while watching TV.
8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?
- We can devote 30 minutes to an hour each day for morning and evening walks. We frequently spend our weekends in the park or going hiking, where the dog will get several hours of strenuous exercise. We are willing to take the dog to a dog park. I would love to play fetch with a tennis ball or a frisbee on occasion.
9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?
- We are willing to brush the dog’s coat daily and have no problem taking it to a professional groomer on occasion.
10) What size dog are you looking for?
- Small-to-medium sized. We would be comfortable with up to arounds 50lbs if a) it’s lovely and cuddly and b) would tolerate an apartment for several years.
11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?
- I have mild pet allergies and a hypoallergenic dog breed is preferred to one known to cause pet allergies. Barking is a major concern and we strongly prefer a quite breed.
12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?
- Our ideal dog would naturally gravitate towards us, even when off-leash, but this is not particularly important.
Dog Personality and Behavior
13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?
14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?
15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?
- Friendly and welcoming to strangers
16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?
- Yes, but we would prefer not.
17) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?
- Nothing not already discussed
18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?
- We are both employed and once Covid ends the dog will be left alone the apartment during weekdays.
19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?
20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?
21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?
- Not immediately, but likely will in 5-10 years.
22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?
23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?
- We live in a major city and I’m sure any dog which fits our criteria won’t be banned.
24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?
- Mild winters with lows in the 40s/50s and Summer highs around upper 70s but spike into the 100s.
Additional Information and Questions
25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.
- No additional information.
26) Feel free to ask any questions below.
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help!